In order to register a Fjord foal, the sire and dam must be registered with DNA test results on record at CLRC. Therefore, a breeding animal needs to have DNA test on record.
The DNA kits are issued by the CLRC. DNA kit application forms are available from the CLRC. No tests will be done if hair sample is not submitted using a CLRC-issued kit.
The lab, Maxxam Analytics Inc., works through the CLRC. The procedure works as follows:
- Breeder submits an application for DNA kit to CLRC, including payment. View our current fee schedule for DNA Kit prices.
- CLRC sends kit. It includes a preprinted envelope specific to the horse on the application, and provides instructions to take, tape and send a proper hair sample from the mane or tail.
- Breeder pulls the hair sample, and sends sealed, pre-addressed envelope to MAXXAM Analytics Inc.
- MAXXAM transmits the DNA results electronically to CLRC.
- CLRC files are automatically updated for registered animals, or the DNA record for foals is stored until the foal is registered.
Order DNA test online OR Download DNA Application